CONCERNING THE BIRTH OF THE MUSES
the muse-browsing touch-pad-caressing mouse-scrolling track-ball-rolling
and the google-eyed-peripatetic diderot-encyclopedic utterly-unsatiated
are taken back in time to the times, as Time itself (Saturn) had been forced to seek refuge in the bucolic paradise of the double-faced Janus, the King of the Latins
Whereas Saturn & Janus and their blessed subjects were enjoying the golden Age of Saturnalia’s, the mighty gods at Olympia suddenly discovered, to their Hellenic dismay, the following Doric marble-hard facts:
- They had lost all track of time. Endowed with the powers of knowing the future, but bereft of Saturn & Janus, they were no more capable of distinguishing between the future, the past and the present. They were also unable to forget certain moments, which some of them would have gladly forgotten and maybe also in an earthly Gandhi-like way forgiven.
- Although having supplied themselves and the human beings with a semi-religious institution, the gods had done till now very little or nothing to enhance the meaning of life!
- Since they could not regressively wish for the carefree times of Uranus, the ancestor of Zeus & Saturn, nor strive for something like the shameful unhistorical inglorious golden age of Saturn & Janus, an age bereft of any chivalrous deeds of the adventure-minded, they felt they needed something new and challenging that would stretch the horizons of
their completely-consolidated and therefore finite Infinity
- And since Prometheus was often running away and always stealing new secrets from them and bestowing it on mankind, it was felt, especially by Jove and Apollo and Asclepios that the Mankind would do well, in order not to commit hybris, to have a guiding hand of certain special divinities, who would accompany the gods and the mankind on their adventure. These divinities would impart them verbal & mathematical knowledge of varied relationships between all forms of existence and their functions and their genesis and even about the universe and its hidden dimensions, as well as make the human beings innovative. They would also enhance mankind’s feelings of genuine pleasure and appreciation of their own achievements and creations and of those presented to them by the gods.
- But most of all, since nothing exists, not even the gods, when there is no one to talk about it, the gods needed someone to recreate their own existences in words, poetry, prose, history and science and in music and dance. So indeed out of this simple need were created the Muses who created everything, including all the tales about the human beings and all other creatures in cosmos and of course all the tales about the gods and finally this story about themselves.
And so it came, that in order to be able to keep track of time and to forget, when circumstances demanded it, the gods first created the goddess of Forgetfulness, Lesmosyne. She was created with access to both, the cloudy godly regions of the Olympia and a special region somewhere between the limbic and the latest acquisitions of mankind the cerebral cortex. She was at home in both spheres
And thereafter the Muses were created, at the behest of Asclepios, in a particularly passionate Jovian-Vishnuian embrace, that even Hera, Jove’s otherwise jealous wife accepted without grudge.
They would from now on enrich Olympia from it’s laughter-less dreariness. Ascelpios, far-sighted as ever, allocated them specific regions in the cerebral cortex of mankind, with full rights to do CRUDe operations and a lot more __ abilities they later routinely started to use in both, heavenly & earthly spheres.
And now they can been seen springing between these two spheres, transmitting, updating, reformatting, editing the latest News and occasionally rewriting the whole story, according to their fancy but forever determined to enrich the godly and the human experience and consequently imbue their otherwise fathomless and meaningless mechanical dynamic with musical symbolic.
And god Apollo was given the greatest honor, to be the benefactor of not only the Mankind but also of the Muses, and together they made a great company, watching and selflessly giving so much to life and culture.
The Security Council At Olympia >>